This is a fantastic puzzle to solve for the kids to learn problem-solving skills and logic. It requires a bit of an effort but it’s a lot of fun when the dots start connecting. As a parent, I want the kids to learn patience and resilience, learn that not everything can be done in 30 seconds and that some things do take longer to solve. It also teaches them the process of elimination in a fun way.
I gave my group this puzzle to solve at home and most of them were able to solve it, after a lot of frustration. In the next weeks, once they have forgotten about it, we will revisit it and I will have them solve it on the whiteboard.
Here is the puzzle.
Let us assume that there are five houses of different colors next to each other on the same road. In each house lives a man of a different nationality. Every man has his favorite drink, his favorite brand of cigarettes, and keeps pets of a particular kind.
- The Englishman lives in the red house.
- The Swede keeps dogs.
- The Dane drinks tea.
- The green house is just to the left of the white one.
- The owner of the green house drinks coffee.
- The Pall Mall smoker keeps birds.
- The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhills.
- The man in the center house drinks milk.
- The Norwegian lives in the first house.
- The Blend smoker has a neighbor who keeps cats.
- The man who smokes Blue Masters drinks bier.
- The man who keeps horses lives next to the Dunhill smoker.
- The German smokes Prince.
- The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
- The Blend smoker has a neighbor who drinks water.
The question to be answered is: Who keeps fish?
Here is a video explaining the solution.